Sunday, June 08, 2003

I had a good weekend. I got a lot of school work done and played a lot with my nephew. He's adorable. We jumped around and sang songs. As cute and smart as he is, it takes lots of energy to be with him.

He's 2 and a half years old and he's autistic. He isn't what you'd expect of an autistic child. He's what the professionals call a high-performance autistic case. He's very communicative, and he has a huge vocabulary. His main problems are with changes in routine, eye contact, and he doesn't always answer questions , sometimes repeating the question, other times just saying something that has nothing to do with the question. The professionals say there's a chance that with the right treatment he might totally recover and be a normal kid by the time he's six years old. For that reason, we're not telling people yet, not to stygmatize him. Only a few close friends and relatives have been told about this.

Right now my sister is trying two things simultaneously - a Gluten-free diet for my nephew and a special school that uses the A.B.A method (I don't remember what the initials stand for, but it seems to be working wonderfully).

No comments:

Post a Comment