Saturday, May 29, 2004

It seems like Ariel Sharon might decide to move up the election (which is supposed to take place in November 2006 or 2007) if his disengagement plan isn't approved by the government. I have mixed feelings about this - for one thing, I think his plan isn't good enough. But I'd be happy to get rid of him when election time comes. The problem is that there's nobody who'll be much better. Whoever it is, I don't want him to be an ex-general (like Shaul Mofaz or Ehud Barak), a hawk (like Bibi Netanyahu) or an extreme peacenik (like Yossi Beilin). I want a moderate leftist (in peace and security issues) and a moderate center-rightist (in economic issues). Maybe Avrum Burg (the former Knesset Speaker) would be best of all the current politicians, though he has his share of flaws as well.

I have the same problem with the US election. I think Bush is doing a terrible job, and I think he should be voted out. I'm not that crazy about Kerry either, though, despite the fact that he was, and still is, my favorite among the Democratic primary candidates. I'd be happy to vote for McCain (for president, not VP).

No comments:

Post a Comment