Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Prime Minister's Brain

Unlike Ariel Sharon's previous stroke on December 18th, this time it's serious. The prime minister is in grave condition. He probably has extensive brain damage, and even if he survives, his days as prime minister are over. I must say I'm not much concerned about the man himself - I wish him health, but I'm not as worried as if it were a family member, a friend, or someone I admired.

I'm worried about the country. I don't think too highly of Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, though he'd be better than Benjamin Netanyahu. I fear that in the next elections Netanyahu might now win. Ironically, Kadima, nicknamed "Sharon's one-man party", may get my vote now that Sharon isn't in it. If Justice Minister Tzipi Livni will be the party's candidate for PM, I'll definitely vote for them.

I've read comparisons of last night to the night of the Rabin assassination. I don't see the similarities at all. For one thing, a natural ailment is incomparable to murder; and I think Rabin was a much greater man than Sharon (and definitely not corrupt, while Sharon is).

, ,

3 comments:

  1. Do you think a lot of people will now vote for Sharon's party? It would be great, I believe, if his work could be continued...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Called a butcher, bulldozer, murderer and terrorist. Amidst all the medical attention he has received, the clot was missed previously. Now he has been hospitalised 1 day after strong implications to a bribery scandal which would significantly embarass israel.

    Id say he's better off out of the way, and Im sure the Israeli elite agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there are a lot of people like me who wouldn't have voted for Sharon's party while he's its leader, but would vote for it with someone else at the helm. The big question is whether Sharon's supporters will stay with his party or return to their previous parties. It's too early to tell. Polls suggests the party is still strong, but this could also be an emotional reaction.

    Jamal: Right, this is an assassination, not an old overweight man with high cholesterol. Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete